Saturday, January 2, 2010

Our New Trim Reveal






It might be a little silly sounding, but I'm a tad nervous to show you guys what we've been up to. Remember now, I warned you that the new trim doesn't really look like it fits in with the rest of the house, yet. That's because it's the first part to really get changed in a way that takes the house in a completely new direction. For it all to make more sense, try to imagine a hallway light like this one...





...doorknobs something like these but with oil-rubbed bronze backplates...



and 5" wide planked wood floors - a versatile medium/darkish wood tone :) Got that? Okay, now the trim will make more sense. Quickly... here are the best shots I have of the hallway before...






And......here's our progress as of Saturday evening......


Wait! First I need to give some serious credit to
Humphrey House, a blog we found via HouseBlogs dot net. They have been lovingly restoring a 1912 Craftsman since 2004, and have done such beautiful work. We referenced their trim, a few books on the subject, as well as stalked a few original 1920s Craftsman homes in the area (Open House from 2-4, here we come) while making our choices. Thanks to Humphrey House for such great photos of their trim and for answering questions in how to find things like "bullnose". Now...

















Sam has also finished the trim in Bedroom 3 (baseboards, basecap, and headers above the doors) and he's done all of the trim around both sides of each hallway door (hall side and room side) except for the master bedroom. He needs to borrow a table saw for that door because the dimensions are wonky.

But, doesn't it look soooooo different? Sam will continue installing this trim upstairs throughout the next two months and then we hope to caulk, prime, and paint when we begin getting warm days. We'll be painting all of the trim in Benjamin Moore's Dove White. I was skipping around the kitchen today and gave Sam a big hug & kiss and sang "Thank you for making our house so pretty!" :) And I mean it. It's really pretty in the hallway now. Oh, thank You, Lord.




And thanks to all of you for sharing our excitement and encouraging us along the way.

10 comments:

nanato8 said...

Oh Jacci it is so pretty. Sam has done a marvelous job. I am so happy for you! Give hugs and kisses. Love, MOM

Heather said...

I think it looks really great. I love Craftsman-style homes. I think you're doing a great job in defining and keeping with your personal style.

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

I looked at the pictures again and again and I have no idea why you were so nervous :) They look really really beautiful, and definitely a BIG upgrade compared to the before pictures. WOW.

Also enjoyed your post explaining your trim choices - very educational for novices like me!

Rebecca said...

Jacci I LOVE the trim!!!! I can't wait to put trim similar to that in our house!!

Stephen and Larissa said...

Stop worrying! It looks INCREDIBLE! The trim is gorgeous and will look great once it's painted! The doorknobs and light will look great too one day. I'm so excited for you guys.

Your effort into research is inspiring and makes me want to start collecting cohesive ideas now for the future.

Jacci said...

Thanks so much for the kind comments, everyone. I know, I'm such a dork for making a big deal out of it :) I just wasn't sure how you all would react to this put-old-house-trim-in-an-80s-split-level thing. **I would have loved it regardless**, but it's nice to know you all like it, too :)

So fun!!!

~Jacci

Deb said...

Love the moldings. Hubby did a great job!

Jan's camera said...

I love these mouldings. I would love to have these mouldings in my condo apartments instead of the blah plain ones that I have now. You are so lucky to have Sam. He did a great job. Thanks for all of the interesting links.

Jen said...

I think this post is going to change my LIFE (well, at least it'll change my house!). Thank you for breaking down the process. Craftsman is CLASSIC and never gets blah. I'm going to start small in my laundry room, then get hubby involved to crank out the entire house. Buh-bye ranch moulding!

One question, though. What kind of wood are you using? I've read through your trim posts, and I've missed it. It looks like a smooth grain like alder? Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

I love it -- do you have a post with a tutorial for it?!