Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April 10 on 10



I do not make bacon for breakfast very often at all. I had half a package leftover in the fridge from a recipe last week, and it was about to go bad if it didn't get used up soon. So, I made it this morning. The children were ecstatic. The skillet is still sitting in the kitchen with the grease all up in it. Why does cleaning up the grease bother me so?

nine o' clock


I used to make big breakfasts a lot on weekdays. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. But, as our school schedule has gotten more demanding, our breakfasts have simplified. Toast, cereal, muffins if SweetP wakes up early and wants to make them. But the rest of us generally don't wake up early, and the children took forever to eat this morning, so we were starting to get behind already. I had to get on their cases to wrap it up so we could start lessons.

ten o'clock


Scripture memory. Then, morning lessons.

eleven o'clock


noon


A little free time while I made lunch. Right around this point in the day, I felt it coming on... a migraine. I started popping pills like a mad woman, trying to head it off. If I get to the ibuprofen/Excedrin rotation quickly enough, it will often only last a few hours. And I drink water like it's going out of style.

one o'clock


It didn't take long for it to get bad, though. Little Dude went down for his nap, I gave each of the girls specific jobs to occupy them, and I took a hot, hot, hot shower. Letting the hot water pour down my forehead helps for some reason. When I came downstairs, Punkin rubbed my head while she read her book aloud. I look like I'm really paying attention.

Back in the day, when everyone was smaller, Sam would sometimes have to come home from work on a day like this. I'd just be too out of it to safely care for the children by myself. This headache wasn't quite that bad, I was clued in to everything going on around me. But, it was certainly nice to have children old enough to help. And sweet enough to be willing.

two o'clock


I was about to put the camera away for the day and just skip this month's ten. But, then I thought - "This is today. This is part of what happens in our life. I get headaches." And I kept the camera beside me on the coffee table.

SweetP took the shots of me in my infirmity.

three o'clock


It's humbling that my kids are going to grow up with memories of their invalid mother sprawled out on the couch like this. Then again, humbling is good for me. Baby was down for her afternoon nap, and the girls heated up my rice sock for me. Yes, that's a sock. With rice in it. Hot rice. It feels so good on an aching head.

The times for these afternoon photos are more or less accurate. I didn't set a timer or even look at the clock much. I just guessed when I thought enough time had passed. At some point when both the younger two were napping and the olders were completing some lessons independently, I dozed.

four o'clock


Three blessings. #1 - After my third dose of painkillers and a little snooze, I was feeling much better. #2 - Baby took a really long afternoon nap. #3 - our monthly Amazon book order arrived on the front steps. New books. Hallelujah. Everyone immediately had something interesting to do while I languished.

around five thirty


And not long after that, I was feeling much better, but hadn't shaken the headache completely. It was time to get ready to head out for Punkin's first soccer game. Sam came home to take her, and I decided to keep lying low at home with Baby and SweetP... drink more water, take one more dose of Excedrin.

Less than an hour later, I was good to go. No more headache.

What a weird 10 on 10.

six forty five


Heeeey, look! It's the acclaimed Gray Fleece!

I think Baby had been wondering what was up. We were both glad to get a little snuggle time.

And that, friends, makes it ten. So far, I don't think I've felt like any one of my 10 on 10s has been truly representative of our daily life. But, like I said, these kinds of days do happen... once every month or two.

And now, it's documented for all time. Like it or not.


ten on ten button




10 comments:

Sam said...

Glad you're feeling better, babe. Did you save me any bacon?;)

Melissa @ thelittlegrayhouse said...

So sorry about your migraine. I get those too and they stink!
Hope today is much better!

Laura Lynn said...

I have been plagued with migraines for 25 years. Did the whole find-out, work-up, MRI and was diagnosed with common migraines and the only solution was just live with it and take something before they start which is ridiculous since they often just attack.

I doubt that it was a lack of painkillers in my system that was causing them.

So after a couple visits to a chiropractor I find myself realizing that it's been a while since I've had a headache. Really, you should look into it. I can't believe how it's worked!

Sara said...

Glad you're feeling better! You still took absolutely beautiful pictures, despite your headachy-ness. :)

Julie said...

I'm reading this with a headache :( but I can't complain, I've maybe had a handful of migraines as bad as yours. I loved your set. It was incredibly real and that's what I liked the most.

Angel said...

Ugh, migraines. Glad you're feeling better.
Great photos!
Such beautiful kiddos.
I also have a problem with the grease, switched to turkey bacon. On the rare occasion we get the real stuff my Honey will clean it up for me.

Kiki said...

Sorry about the headache. You took great photos nonetheless! And as a little side note, I love your blog header. So cute!

Shannon said...

BACON!!!

Sorry about your migraine... I get those sometimes, too. No fun AT ALL.

Kristen said...

I've discovered good news on the bacon front: there is a way to make it wayyyyy easier. Until now, I've never been able to get it right, but I discovered you can cook it IN THE OVEN! No greasy pan (I'm with you on that) and no splatters everywhere. Line a baking pan with foil. Lay the bacon on the pan as close as you want, but not overlapping. Put the pan in a cold oven. Preheat to 400. When it gets to 400, start watching it...sometimes it's done in 5 minutes, sometimes 15 (don't ask me why), but it's always perfect. Seriously, perfect.

Boni Lady said...

Migraines stink! I have been getting them since elementary school... I feel your pain! Love your 10 on 10...I do this blog too every 10th of the month! Stalking you ... ahem... I mean, FOLLOWING you now... Love your writing! My kids are 6, 4, 3 & 3 (twins) so I totally understand the craziness of close in age kiddos! God bless you and your cuties!!