Sunday, April 15, 2012

thoughts on Pinterest



Hey, all! Just a quick word about Pinterest and our blog. Nothing scary... if you've pinned us, don't break out in a sweat like I'm going to send you to the principal's office or give you a demerit or something. However, I do want to just super quickly share a few thoughts.



Most of the images that have been pinned from our blog are the "design inspiration" photos I post from other sources. I really, really try to give the source whenever I can. (If you come across an unreferenced photo here and you know where it's from, please shoot me a message to let me know - I'll source it!). I wasn't great about this at first, but as I've come to understand more of blog etiquette, I've been increasingly aware of sourcing. My archive sources are a MESS. And, even now, I'll save images and then forget where they came from. I annoy myself sometimes.

The problem with pinning these images from my blog is that they then link to my blog on Pinterest... and it can sometimes seem like they're mine. But, they aren't at all mine. I try to monitor somewhat and list sources out in comments when I can, but it's not always feasible.

Sooo... I would like to ask any happy pinners out there to please try to pin from the image source if possible. I know, it's not always. I've far too often just generically referenced a source... say 'Apartment Therapy'... instead of actually providing a link back. That didn't really matter much until the onset of Pinterest mania. But, now there are Apartment Therapy images on Pinterest with MY NAME instead of Apartment Therapy attached to them, and that seems weird.

I know it's probably not that big of a deal. Maybe I'm too much of a "rule follower". I didn't even jaywalk until I was, like, 35. Okay, you're right. I still don't jaywalk. Anyway...

So, if at all possible, please follow any links I give and pin from the original source. I, in turn, have realized the importance of providing these specific links (only this week did I come across any of the pins made from this blog) and will do all I can to follow through with providing the actual links, not just source names.

Also, if you'd like to pin our own blog images of our home... I'm cool with that. Flattered, actually. Thank you.

Unless you pin my dirty dishes and laundry piles. Please don't pin my laundry piles.

I'd also like to ask you to please not pin photos of our family. If you'd really like to, please just send a quick email and let me know. I can't tell you why I feel okay putting photos of our children on the blog, but Pinterest feels strange. It's not really logical. But, it's very odd to come across your baby on Pinterest. Maybe you could just save those images, if you'd like to, to your computer and not actually publish them on Pinterest. Thank you, again.

And if you're the one that pinned Baby, I'm not mad :) Sam thinks it's silly that it felt weird to me. I know it doesn't make much sense. I'd just feel better if it were removed.

Soooo... Pinterest. It's making copyright a little messier than before. I love it, but I can see how it could be a real issue if the photos are not sourced well. For instance, who in the world knows where the first crayon melty art thing originated. No one. But a few pretty pictures of them have been pinned over and over again... it sure seems like the ideas originated with those pins, but they didn't!

Anyway. Those are my thoughts on Pinterest.

It's late.

I need to hit the hay.

Thanks, guys.




{image from here}



No comments: