Wednesday, March 28, 2012

the lego cabinet thingy



Good morning, all! If you're reading this on Wednesday morning, it means my little scheme to reduce my computer time is working. I'm writing this on Saturday night, and scheduling it to publish itself later in the week. I'm tricksy like that.

But, I'm editing first to add - thank you! The feedback from yesterday was very helpful. I really appreciated it!

Did you notice the lego cabinet thingy in the family room tour last week? Yes. I finally got it finished. I think it only took me three months.

I mentioned that I trash picked this, didn't I? I don't generally do that, being a germophobe and all. But, it was a respectable neighborhood, and it looked pretty clean. The ring pulls were what caught my attention. The only problem with it was the Asian figures (engraved? embossed?) on the front.

Exhibit A: iPhone pic...



(Woooo-ee.)

I took all the little drawers out, cleaned everything really well, and painted the main part of the cabinet white.



Then I set out to modge podge some thick, texture scrapbook paper to the front of each drawer.



This was the part that took me forever. I have no idea why. It's not like it was difficult. I only did 4 or 5 drawers at a time, and I guess I just got bored with it. It seemed like the drawers would never end.



See those bubbles? Annoying. After a few drawers, I started repeatedly pressing the paper down and smoothing it now and then as it dried. If I didn't do that over and over again, I got these bubbles. I put the modge podge on the drawer first, and placed and pressed the paper down. After it dried (and after I kept pressing it smooth a few times), then I sealed the top of the paper with two coats of the modge podge.

I finally got it done. And managed to get some photos with my real camera instead of just the phone.



Here it is, trying to look chic. I didn't have the heart to shatter it's delusional pride and break the news it was just for Legos...





Finishing the cabinet was only half the battle, though. There were now LEGOS to organize.

My kids amaze me. Nine time out of ten, I could hold up some random Lego and they knew exactly which set it belonged to. They worked on sorting them for a very, very long time. I was basically useless. They all looked the same to me.









I knew these drawers were going to hold a lot. And they did! Which is good, because the Legos were beginning to take over.





He was trying to educate me, but I just couldn't figure it all out.

We still have about 2-3 drawers worth of Legos to work through and organize. The wonderful, glorious news is that we still have over 6 empty drawers of space! I'm pretty pumped.



Yay for a little organization.

It does my heart good.



2 comments:

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

Wow, what a great find!! And love what you did with it. I enjoy chic furniture that hold not-so-chic toys ;-)

Legos are so great, I have lots of good memories playing with them when I was a kid :)

Deb said...

You found that in the trash??? Good for you. It turned out great!